0Ottimizzazione WAN MTU per BT Infinity

Dal momento che il passaggio dal mio BT SmartHub a un router pfSense Ho avuto alcuni problemi iniziali minori. One of which has been the squid proxy ser­vice caus­ing a prob­lem where I can­’t access the BBC web­site with an error. Mentre ho finalmente risolvere questo problema attraverso un metodo un po 'strano, Ho incontrato una possibile fonte del problema, che è valsa il fissaggio su di essa la propria


When I turned squid off I was imme­di­ately able to access the BBC web­site, but with it turned on I con­sist­ent received an error from squid that there had been a “Zero Sized Reply”. Sembrava calamaro era in grado di ottenere qualsiasi risposta da parte del BBC. One pos­sible cause of this could be frag­men­ted pack­ets being dropped, and the cause of frag­ment­a­tion is nor­mally MTU size.

The default MTU for Eth­er­net is 1500 and most mod­ern oper­at­ing sys­tems man­age things on the LAN auto­mat­ic­ally. It is pos­sible to use sizes up to 9000 to increase through­put (leggermente) per la LAN. tuttavia, this was of less interest to me than mak­ing sure pack­ets wer­en’t get­ting frag­men­ted mul­tiple times, or being frag­men­ted after leav­ing the router.

Con il pfSense WAN MTU impostato sul valore predefinito (1500) I tried some pinging from win­dows to see what the max­im­um size was without frag­ment­a­tion. The com­mand to use is ping google.com -f -l 1500, chan­ging the last num­ber to find the optim­um. My BT Infin­ity con­nec­tion uses PPPoE which typ­ic­ally has a max­im­um value of 1492 (in effetti potrebbe usare realmente PPPoA che il modem ponte può presentarsi come PPPoE per pfSense, dif­fer­ent sources say dif­fer­ent things about this), and when using ping it is neces­sary to take into account some over­head which has a value of 28, so I was expect­ing a ping MTU of 1464 di essere il più grande che potevo usare. To my sur­prise this still res­ul­ted in frag­ment­a­tion and I even­tu­ally found the max­im­um I could use was 1456.

Ho usato questo valore (con 28 aggiunto indietro) per impostare un valore MTU di 1484 nel WAN inter­face set­tings of pfsense. Now the only frag­ment­a­tion should be done by the router to LAN pack­ets, with no risk of any later frag­ment­a­tion from a router some­where between me and any par­tic­u­lar web­site. After clear­ing my browser cache and the squid cache I was then able to load the BBC web­site suc­cess­fully. I sus­pect the issue was caused by a router black­hol­ing issue some­where between my ISP and the BBC serv­ers which was drop­ping the frag­men­ted pack­ets. A nice descrip­tion of the phe­nomen­on can be found on Blog di RCL

Inviateci i vostri pensieri commentando qui sotto! Se si desidera iscriversi si prega di utilizzare il link iscriviti sul menu in alto a destra. È inoltre possibile condividere con i tuoi amici usando i link sottostanti sociali. Saluti.

lascia un commento