I’ve had a very long standing problem where mapped drives on Windows پی سی are shown as disconnected after a PC wakes from sleep or after a reboot. Clicking to open the drive results in a delay of several seconds and then the share opens. I had this problem with Windows 7 right through to Windows 10 1909. Today, thanks to a different issue, I finally cracked it.
The problem is caused by Microsoft’s out-dated NetBIOS name resolution system. میں (like most people) map drives to the name of the target server, and with “shortnames” (یعنی. names without a domain after them) it seems like Windows tries to resolve the name with something other than DNS.
I discovered that disabling NetBIOS manually (see how below) meant that network drives were connected correctly after a reboot. I realised that if I could disable NetBIOS via DHCP i could fix all the پی سی on my network with very little trouble. I tested this (instructions below) and was again successful!
- right click on the networking icon in the system tray
- “Open Network & Internet Settings”
- “Change Adapter Options”
- Right click on the relevant connection and select properties
- Double click on “Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"
- Click on “Advanced…”
- Click on the “WINS” tab
- Untick “Enable LMHOSTS Look-up”
- Select the radio box for “Disable NetBIOS over TCP/آئی پی"
Disabling via DHCP
- This will depend on your DHCP system — mine is a pfsense router
- In the DHCP Options set option 43
- On my pfsense box this is set to a string with a value of 01:04:00:00:00:02
- On a sonicwall box I found the type was set to “bytevalue” and I had to use a slightly different format which was 0x01;0x04;0x00;0x00;0x00;0x02
- In both instances we are effectively setting the same value which I believe is a hex. Notice that both have 6 “bits” with the values 1,4,0,0,0,2. For different systems I found a quick google will provide the appropriate format
- Delete the previous آئی پی lease on the DHCP system, and then do an “ipconfig /release” “ipconfig /renew” (2 separate commands) on the client
ذیل میں تبصرہ کی طرف سے ہمیں اپنے خیالات بھیجیں کریں! آپ کے سبسکرائب کرنا چاہتے ہیں تو سب سے اوپر دائیں مینو پر لنک سبسکرائب استعمال کریں. آپ بھی ذیل سماجی روابط کا استعمال کرتے ہوئے کی طرف سے اپنے دوستوں کے ساتھ اس کا اشتراک کر سکتے ہیں. چیرس.