Windows 8 looks to have many nice new features, but unfortunately, as I mentioned in a previous post, Microsoft has decided to create a phone/tablet user interface and foist it upon desktop users as well. This wouldn’t be such a problem if Microsoft had left an option to turn the excellent and well established traditional interface back on, but in their infinite wisdom Microsoft hasn’t provided any such option. Fortunately there are 2 options for getting the traditional start button and menu back.
1. Start menu without button, without 3rd party software
- Right click on the taskbar
- Go to toolbars and “new toolbar”
- Paste the following: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and click “select folder”
- Right click on the taskbar again and select “Lock the taskbar” (which will unlock it)
- Use the vertical line of dots to drag the “programs” entry across to the far left
- Double click on the vertical line of dots to shrink the menu
- Right click on the taskbar again and select “Lock the taskbar”
2. Full start menu, via 3rd party utility
- Download ViStart
- Install. You’ll need to give it permission to run
Credit to AskVG
Think we've missed something? Let us know by commenting below. If you would like to subscribe please use the subscribe link on the menu at the top right. You can also share this with your friends by using the social links below. Cheers.