One of my family owns an LG Viewty Lite KU990i (note: the original Viewty is a KU990 which includes a stylus that the Lite ‘i’ version lacks) and asked for my assistance in connecting it to their PC. The problem is that LG seem to support the KU990, but not the KU990i. The phone was not supplied with any software or cable, but my family member had obtained a cable in the expectation of downloading the software from LG. Apparently this is too much to ask. The KU990 was apparently provided with LG PC Suite version 2, and I found various posts around the net stating that LG had said that version 2 would also work with the 990i, however, despite obtaining a copy of LG PC Suite 2 I was unable to communicate with the phone successfully. Eventually I was led to try LG PC Suite 3, and with some fiddling was eventually able to get communication working.
1. Download LG PC Suite 3 from our Downloads page, or RapidShare (v3.1.19) or RapidShare (v3.1.20)
* Thanks to the anonymous poster on Phil Puttock’s weblog for the original MegaUpload link.
* The original MegaUpload link was lost when MegaUpload was shutdown in Jan-2012 — we’ve located 2 RapidShare links instead.
* Thanks to Chris (see comments below) for confirming that the new RapidShare link for version 3.1.20 works.
* We have mirrored both versions on our downloads page.
2. Install PC Suite, run it, let it detect the update, and install the update
3. Turn the phone on, connect the cable to the phone
4. Connect the cable to the PC and wait for the drivers to install
5. IMPORTANT — Load LG PC Suite, but before clicking on any of the options (e.g. manage contacts or view messages) make sure the phone is on, with nothing running, at the main screen, and NOT locked or with a screen-saver. The phone I was using auto-locks after a very short period and when locked causes an error in PC Suite. Once PC Suite has communicated successfully for the first time it seems to work regardless of the phone being locked from then on
6. You may need to change the USB mode in the phone settings — it should be in “service” mode not “usb storage” mode.
What do you think? Drop us a comment below! If you would like to subscribe please use the subscribe link on the menu at the top right. You can also share this with your friends by using the social links below. Cheers.